Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Muses v. Muses
Last night I had the option of practicing guitar or writing. Sorry.

I just have one quick observation though. I don't get cable TV so I miss many of the blowhards ranting about this or that depending on ratings and which personality has a trial coming up. Still, this "War on Christmas" nonsense has bled into my small realm. I suppose we get this garbage when we allow talking heads to shape our national conversation.

First, is this becoming a regular holiday exercise, like watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas?"

Second, I for one am not looking to the check out girl at a box retail outlet store for affirmation of my beliefs. Is anyone? If so, I'd suggest some major meditation on the season's message. If you think forcing some poor associate earning minimum wage to say Merry Christmas to you is going to brighten the season then may I humbly suggest you are, oh I don't know, bat-shit crazy?

Even Jesus told his disciples upon sending them out into the world, if you are not received well, shake off the dust from your sandals and move on. He didn't say stay there and force them to comply with your convictions.

Lastly, this debate, much like other cultural crises, is manufactured by people who desperately want the public not to focus on bigger issues: healthcare, the deficit, or perhaps our little soiree into Iraq. Just a few days ago there was an article in the NY Times which talked about the coming healthcare crisis when public governments must, because of changes in GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), start truly funding the healthcare promises made to their employees. No one is talking about this and it will have a much larger impact on my life than whether the gal at Target (which I avoid like the plague anyway) says Merry Christmas to me or not.

But now I have an idea--faith-based healthcare...huh? huh? Mull it over my dear friends. It may just be the solution to all our problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home