Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Moving Away, Moving Closer

Tubby-time. I'm drawing animals in various soap/paint colors on the side of the tub, washing hair and generally chit-chatting with the Booglet. I'm washing when she turns to me and says:

"Daddy, my do it." I just love that phrase.

"Sure Sugar Bear," I hand her the washrag and she starts washing her plump belly. I watch, feeling left out. This is the way it will be, I think, with a tinge of sadness. Bit by bit, excluded from her, irrelevant, unneeded. My hands fold uselessly over the bathtub side.

"Wash Daddy's hands?" I look up and she's reaching over to wash my hands. Her little hands wrap around one of my fingers, washing them. I study her face, tilted to the side slightly, lips pursed in concentration. Washing Daddy's hands.

"Oh thank you Sweetheart." I said.

Thank you for washing my hands. Thank you for being here, which washes everything away for me: regret, anxiety, fear of a world brutish and cold. You have scrubbed me clean with your delicate little features; given me peace after so long travelling.

3 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

That's sweet. I hope you print out a copy for her to read when she's older.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger jemison said...

Oh yeah, this whole, thing is about her in one way or another...

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Christa said...

I love bath time too. You've posted about it before. Sounds like such a sweet time you share with your daughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home