Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Christmas Story
The Donkey
Dude, my back is killin' me! This is no regular woman. I've toted women from Galilee to Caesarea but this one is fat with child... The baby squirms in her belly, kicking and spinning so hard even I can feel it in my ribs. Her husband walks ahead and talks to himself quite a lot. But he's kind, and patient. He's strong too, determined to obey this crazy government order. The family of David they are from I was told while being fitted with blankets. They have carried themselves so; noble if impoverished, the echoing of greatness in their silent majesty.

So we finally get to Bethlehem and I'm so tired, just wanting to get this ripe woman off me. But things are chaotic; there's a lot of people. Taxes are due and there is rumbling, combined with the spectacle of multitudes brought together by government decree. We go to several places looking for quarters. Finally, in a rather humble spot, we find space. The woman gets off. I eat. We rest in the calm cold...

The night is exceptionally bright. There is a star I haven't noticed. It bathes the stable with a cold, bright light. Animals are all around me, cows softly chewing their cud, sitting next to broad-shouldered oxen. I bury my head into the oats.

I'm tired but I can't sleep. Something's going on.

The woman is birthing her child...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home