Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Pain
Oh my dear little one, I know it hurts. I can’t stand it any better than you but I can’t lie to you either, even at this age. Sometimes you are going to hurt. Tomorrow it will feel better.

I wish it were different. I wish there was no pain: for you, me and the rest of the world. This is hard for your little head to get around, I know. All I can promise is I will hold you and read you a story. Mommy’s the comforter: Daddy’s the clown. But let me and I can comfort you, just like I have for your Mommy…

The trade-off is to my advantage, my sweet little one. I get to rock you and rub your back while you are this little forming person. You will have to see me deteriorate and fade from the strong superman Daddy you know now into an old man, weary and feeble. When that time comes, just remember who held you up by your feet for “tick-tock the clock” and spun you around effortlessly. Remember me that way when my time is gone, for I will always remember you this way, small and soft in my arms with your head buried into my shoulder.

I’m thinking all this while you lay in the bed next to me, snuggling with your favorite blankie while Daddy rubs your back. You look at me and say, “My ear hurts.”

“I know it does,” is all I can say. “It will feel better tomorrow.” It breaks my heart to see you hurt.

One day you will know. You will endure more pain in your life. You might even go through the pain of childbirth, which I can’t speak to but only note that your Mommy about crawled up my arm while she was having contractions from you trying to get out from your cozy nine-month nest into this world that inflicts pain at every turn. If that happens, then you will know pain like you’ve never thought possible, the pain of your heart walking around outside of you in the form of a perfect little one.

Let’s take some medicine, read a story, and let Daddy just hold you for a little while as your crying subsides into the baby hiccups and then finally into smooth breathing as the medicine takes effect. Now we say our prayers and go to sleep. A kiss on the forehead, tucking in, and you are on your way through the passage of night into tomorrow.

I sneak back in twenty minutes later to find you sleeping well and breathing easy. I cover you again with your blankets kicked off and walk quietly out of your room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home