Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Midnight Rambler
And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house,
with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?
Talking Heads

Or you may find yourself up at wee hours of the morning pouring over work while your two favorite girls are sleeping and your crazy dog is demanding attention. That was me last night, keeping one eye on the World Series (National League--look at the pitifulness of yo-self!) and preparing for a long day.

It's times like this that I begin to wonder how I did get here. In my life, I've certainly made a number of mistakes and regret a fair number of things--things done and left undone--but lately I can't help but accept that this path has led me to this point, again, with my two girls sleeping soundly--being Daddy. All the missteps, all the blunders, all look okay when I realize that but for them, I wouldn't have either of these two here with me now. I can't imagine my life any other way.

That has a way of easing the lament of lost opportunities. Life is a journey in which you are only allowed to look in the rearview mirror. It can only be understood looking at where you've been. And when you do that, it all makes perfect sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home