Friday, February 10, 2006

Evening Prayer

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep


I hear those words coming from the Booglet's room. I am transported across time and space to my childhood bedroom.

If I should die before I wake,

It must be an old prayer. I can envision children reciting it to parents long since turned to dust.

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

What a perspective time gives. To a small child, with your whole life ahead, what is more terrifying than dying in your sleep? And as you grow older, does the thought of slipping silently under the waves of consciousness, never to rise again really sound so bad?

Amen

1 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger jemison said...

She hears the Lord's prayer every Sunday in church but it's a little much at her age to recite. But yeah, "if I should die before I wake" does creep out some people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home