Friday, October 21, 2005

I'm So Disappointed In You
Thank God for the Blackberry. Really: you may never hear me say it again but thank God for the Blackberry. Here's why...

I'm sitting in the foyer of a restaurant waiting for my order (blackened shrimp and New York strip) when a young mother comes past. I'm playing Brickbreaker on my Blackberry...when I don't have the little one with me I find I'm just passing time. Anyway, this woman comes through the foyer with a small child in her arms. The little girl is about my daughter's age...

"I'm so disappointed in you!" she hissed. Whispering, but fiercely like a hissing air leak.

Man, I'm playing Brickbreaker like a fiend now. I'm saying to myself, "don't look up, don't look up." But I do, and she looks at me and passes on...

Hey lady--she's not trying out to be your daughter. It's late at night; what do you expect dragging a kid in here with all this going on? Are you expecting her to be an adult? That's your job. It starts with not putting your kids in these situations...they can smell pressure.

Of course I didn't say any of that. It's...not...my...place. I know that. I just wonder what today's parents expect from their children. When I was a child, I was allowed to be a child. We didn't go out to dinner much. Maybe that's the difference, now that I think about it. I remember a lot of family dinners at home and few dinners out. That's certainly changed in the past thirty years.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Christa said...

I went out to dinner one night and this woman was trying to explain to her 18 month old in the highchair that he needed to finish his food because some children in Africa don't have food. Huh? Come on lady, he's 18 months old! I hate seeing things like what you witnessed.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger ConnieMom said...

Once, at a restaraunt I saw a very cute & curly but very badly behaved little girl of about three. The doting parents seemed oblivious to her disruptive behavior. She was getting in and out of her seat, running about, squealing, demanding things.

So so badly, I wanted to walk over and tell the mom "Oh what a cute little girl! Why, I bet she's so smart, you could teach her how to act in a restaraunt!"

It's hard to be a parent though. This I know! Between the parents who are overly severe and the ones that can't say "no" there is still a grand middle ground of mistakes to be made, unfortunately.

We do the best we can, don't we.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home